Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Hot Licks and WET PAINT!

I just finished the artwork for this year's Hot Licks Bluesfest. I took a few pics during the painting so that I could show the in progress stages.


First, I blocked in the shapes over my drawing with acrylic washes (skin areas and guitar) and painted in the shapes that I know were going to be very dark, almost black (sky, shirt and shoes).


Then, I started to add detail to the character's face, trying to capture the moon lighting.


From the face, I kept working outward, adding more detail to the hands and guitar. I kept the light source in mind and decided where and how it would hit each part of the image.


You could still see some of my pencil drawing under the acrylic washed areas.


After the hands and guitar were mostly completed with detail, I started to work out the affect of a second light source. The words- "HOT LICKS"(in bright orange-red) will be placed along the backside of the character.


Here, you can see the warm light hitting the hands, guitar neck and body, etc.


When most of the image was finished, I went back to the top area and added some stars and stylized steam, rising from the image.


Small detail was added, sweat on the player's face and warm light on the underside of his hat and ear. I love adding little touches like that to a piece...kind of an afterthought but it works.

Well, there you have it! I still need to work on the type...stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment